Associates of The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie are men and women looking for a way to live out their baptismal commitment by sharing in the prayer and spiritual tradition of the Congregation.
They meet on a regular basis to share the spirituality and charism of The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie. There is no expectation that Associates will necessarily share directly in the work of the Congregation. The sense of having a ministry within the mission of bringing unity to our surroundings is a service in which we all share. What could be more fitting than to bring the gift of healing, reconciling and unifying love to those we meet in today’s society? It is that great gift of love which is at the heart of our mission and ministry.
If you are interested in becoming an Associate of The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie, ask yourself these two questions:
- Does the charism and spirituality of The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie resonate with my own God-given Baptismal grace?
- Does this way of living the Gospel message attract me and cause me to feel “at home” with it?
Our Associate Story
- At Vatican II Religious Congregations were encouraged to discover their roots.
- This research indicated that in our early beginnings in France lay women and vowed Religious women had shared life together.
- These facts inspired us in 1982 to research and explore the possibility the re-establishment of lay companions.
- In 1986 a Co- Membership Program was established in North Bay, Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay.
- In 1997 the name was changed to Associates.
- In 2013 we have 109 committed Associates, 9 candidates and 35 sisters participating in this meaningful gathering in the areas of North Bay, Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.
Levels of commitment …
The following are ways of participating as associates.
Fully Participating Associates
- Spiritually unite themselves through personal prayer and good works.
- Attend Associate gatherings and meetings.
- Make themselves available to serve on committees.
- For those who still would like to be associates of the congregation but can no longer participate actively.
- Who spiritually unite themselves through personal prayer and good works.
- Who may join the larger Associate community on special days of prayer or retreat days.
Goals of the Associate Program
- To deepen and broaden the relationship and identification with The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie.
- To collaborate in Jesus’ mission of reconciliation and unity, which is also the specific purpose of The Sisters of St. Joseph.
- To provide mutual enrichment and support in prayer and service.
- To enable opportunities for sharing ideas and vision so as to participate in bringing about the transformation of self, society and the planet through inclusive and active love.
Associates Of The Sisters of St. Joseph of Sault Ste. Marie
For women or men married or single with a desire to share in the Spirituality of The Sisters of St. Joseph
What is meant by Being an Associate?
Being an Associate is one way of participating in the life of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph. The congregation consists of professed members who make public profession within the canonical structure of the Catholic Church and Associates who make commitment to the congregation yearly on an individual basis.
Associates are women or men who desire to share in the congregation’s spirit and spirituality, and in the challenges of responding to the changing needs of the Church. They wish to provide mutual support in living the Gospel values of love and service.
Associate do not profess canonical vows, undertake no binding financial or legal commitments and continue to live in the life styles they have been called to by God.
Associates are joined with the Sisters of St. Joseph to develop their faith, share themselves through prayer, to offer each other the gift of encouragement, to develop relationships with a dedicated Christian group.
Who is eligible to be an Associate?
Association is open to Christians of all faiths who want to be affiliated with the Congregation.
Why do some persons wish to be Associates?
Many people are seeking to meet the challenges of the gospel message and to experience more fully the spirit and community life of The Sisters of St. Joseph. Community life, however, is always in the process of becoming. It is a search after that which is life-giving. It allows persons to share their deepest feelings, hopes, fears, and beliefs.
Associates with the congregation search after a unity deep enough to transcend diversity. It is expressed and experienced in shared prayer, friendship and in the mission of unity and reconciliation.
Associates are seeking a fullness in Christ through a special bond with The Sisters of St. Joseph.
- Initial Contact
- made with one of the Sisters
- made with one of the Associates
- made by writing to the Regional Co-ordinator of the Associates Program.
- After initial contact the applicant is included in meetings, events, and gatherings to experience the nature and the spirit of the association.
- If the applicant decides to continue, the person is then invited to attend informational sessions to learn about the charism of the Congregation.
- The applicant will be assigned a sister and/or an associate companion with whom she/he will meet periodically.
- Associate Approval
- After at least a year of association and input, and not ordinarily exceed two years the applicant meet with the regional co-ordinator or the director. If the associate’s companion and the co-ordinator agree as to the readiness, a letter is sent by candidate and companion to the General Superior requesting associate status.
- Commitment Ceremony
- Approved applicants are invited to a commitment ceremony to be held at a designated date.
- A reception for family and friends follows the ceremony.
- The commitment is renewed annually, usually after a time of prayer.
- The commitment which the associate make can endure for her/his life-time. It can also be terminated by either party for good reason.
For More Information, Contact
Director of Associate Program
St. Joseph’s Motherhouse
2025 Main Street West
North Bay ON P1B 2X6
Tel (705) 474-3800
Fax (705) 495-3028
E-mail Sister Margie Vezina